When citizens buy local, they help to support Currituck’s economy. In turn, locally-owned and operated businesses continually pump hard-earned dollars back into the local economy by way of taxes, payrolls and purchases. Remittances from the state for sales, gas and other taxes will increase. This means more money for schools, services, law enforcement, emergency services, and new jobs in our community.
When you buy local…
- It creates jobs. Local business owners are our neighbors. When you shop in Currituck County, you help keep your fellow citizens employed and create new jobs.
- It saves you gas dollars. By shopping local, you can purchase what you need without having to drive long distances. Often the money you’ll save on gas will make up for any cost difference.
- It keeps you safe. Every time you buy locally, a portion of the sales tax you pay goes to operate the law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services that are vital to our community.
- It supports Currituck schools. Sales tax generated each time you spend money goes towards providing a quality education for the children of Currituck.
Some facts* about buying local:
- Small businesses employ just over half of all U.S.workers.
- Small businesses create more than half of the non-farm, private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Locally-owned and operated businesses create higher-paying jobs for you and your neighbors.
* Source: U.S. Chamber of Commerce